Tuesday, August 10, 2010

To use or not to use

I agree with the articles and think that using technology in a classroom is not only beneficial to the learning process, but beneficial to their future lives as well. For better or worse the world is ran on computers and other computer based technology and those who can’t use them are at a distinct disadvantage. I know from my attempts to procure employment after college ended, every job had something to with some form of computer based technology or another. Knowing this I will do my best to use technology in the classroom, and if access is limited I will do my best to improvise.

In a classroom where outside access to technology is limited, I will still use technology as best as possible, and figure out ways to give students more access. I can be available after school to allow students more time on the computer to do their assignments, I can locate public libraries where there is computer access, and there are other steps you can take. It might seem unfair to use technology as much as possible when some of the students to not have access to it, but not doing so would slow their development and hurt them in the future.

If a student is disadvantage and cannot have them time after school or access to a public library, using technology may be a bit trickier. Trickier but not impossible, I can take steps as a teacher to even help these students to use the technology. One example I can come up with off the top of my head is give those students more time to do technology based assignments, so that sometime in their other classes or free periods they can use that technology to get it done.

If a student does not know how to use technology it will be a detriment to their ability to procure meaningful employment in the future. So if I do not do my best to make sure kids can adequately use technology I will be doing them a disservice. As a teacher our goal is to teach our content to mastery level, but in reality our job is mold young people into adults who can conquer their part of the world upon leaving the classroom. With that in mind not using technology or not teaching them to use it, I won’t be preparing them to the best of my ability for the world that awaits them outside of that school.

1 comment: